The first type of transport in the history of transport in České Budějovice was a horse-drawn railway. Its father was František Josef Gerstner and his son František Antonín who got the privilege of constructing it in 1824.
To provide the connection of the centre with the station - this was already provided in many cities by a city transport system. At that time, it was mostly street line - a tramway. It was similar in the south of Bohemia. The first route was put in operation in České Budějovice on 15 July 1909. The beginning was in the front of the then completely new spectacular building of the České Budějovice station built in Art Nouveau style. The rails headed to the Square and tramways went along the eastern and western part. Behind the bridge above Mlýnská stoka, the route went through the growing Pražské předměstí to Dělostřelecká kasárna. That is why the first route was marked with the letter P.
The town also needed the connection with the cemetery. However, the tramway could not go over two railway crossings due to railway regulations, so the passengers in České Budějovice could use a trolleybus from 27 October 1909. Their operation did not last long, though. Five years later, after the World War I started, the trolleybuses were confiscated for military purposes - they were modified and equipped with the combustion engine as a drive.
The second tramway route went to the then Linecké předměstí and was marked with the letter L. It started operating later after solving the small bearing capacity of the bridge over the Malše River. The passengers coming from the Station to Náměstí (The Square) got off and walked over the bridge. The tramway went empty over the bridge only twice a day. On the other side, another vehicle was ready to take the passengers. This system was in service from 16 April 1910 until 15 June 1916 because one year before that, a new steel bridge was built called Zlatý most (The Golden Bridge) standing there up to the present time.
Tramway garages (in the picture on the right) were based next to Jihočeské elektrárny (South Bohemian Power Plants) which bought the České Budějovice street tram route in 1925. The Power Plants operated tramways until the end of their service in 1950.
The only adjustment to the rail network was done in the city in 1936. From that year one line was operated between both suburbs (Pražské and Linecké) and the second one provided the connection from The Square to the Station through today's Žižkova třída from which the manipulation track turned to the depot (in the picture on the left).
At the end of the World War II, bomb runs damaged the station and adjacent railway equipment, including tramway network which was repaired but it was already evident at that time, that it will not be sufficient for the increasing needs of the residents of České Budějovice. Modernization, or rather a new construction, would be finance-intensive, therefore the then administration authorities decided on the construction of simpler and more flexible trolleybus operation.