To provide the connection between the centre and the railway station - it was a task for the public transport in many cities; at that time, it was mostly provided by the street line - by a tramway. České Budějovice was no exception. The first tramways appeared on the Square of České Budějovice during demonstration drive on 2 December 1908. However, it took a half-year more until the regular service started in the city.
On 15 June 1909, the first route was used starting in front of the brand new building of the railway station in České Budějovice. The street route was of a single track and at the certain distances there were established passing tracks for passing oncoming trains. Behind the bridge over the Mlýnská stoka, the route went through growing Pražské předměstí. The first route was marked with the letter P - according to this name. The terminal station was at the artillery barracks in front of the barriers at the Plzeň stop which does not exist anymore. The total length of the P route was less than three kilometers.
The second route headed to Linecké předměstí then. Therefore the second route was marked with the letter L. The terminal station was at the end of today's Heydukova ulice - at the railway stop again. It was not possible to drive to Linecké předměstí till 16 April 1910 even though both routes were finished at the same time.
The city also needed a direct connection with the cemetery. But the tramway was not allowed to get across two frequent railway crossings, so the passengers in České Budějovice also took a trolleybus for the first time on 27 October 1909! The vehicle from the Daimler-Stoll company did not have bar collectors as we know them today, but trolley wires were taken by a special contact carriage. The then trolleybuses were quite unreliable and five years later, at the beginning of the WWI, their operation was stopped in České Budějovice without any replacement.
In 1925, the street tram route was purchased by the South Bohemian Power Plants. 11 years later, they made the only more significant change in operation. Since 1936, one line was in service between both suburbs and the second one provided the connection from the Square to the railway station. Towards the end of the WWII, the conditions of routes worsened and the tramways slowly became obsolete. It would have not been economical to invest significant finances in their demanding renovation and the construction of new routes which would have provided quality transport to other parts of the city or close villages. So, the decision on their lot was made! Their operations stopped on 2 March 1950!